Sun Hemp Seeds-Janumu Vithanalu, from Mana Velugu Vintage Farmers.
Sunnhemp has been used to improve soil properties, reduce soil erosion, conserve soil water, and recycle plant nutrients.
Local names: Hindi: San, Sonai
Manipuri: Chingenjhin Bengali: Shon, Sanpat Malayalam: Chanaka, Vakku Marathi: Tag Oriya: Sanpat
Telugu: Gilaka, Shanama, Janumu
Kannada: Pundi, Saab,Senabu
It is generally considered to have originated in India. It is now widely grown throughout the tropics and subtropics as a source of green manure, fodder and fiber obtained from its stem.
- Common Name- Sunbeeja
- Botanical Name- CrotoleriaJuncia
- English Name – Sunhemp Seeds
Uses of Hemp Seeds:
- Used in situ green manure for upland crops in the tropics
- As an intercrop amid maize or sugarcane
- Green manure in Tung groves
- Grown for its fiber